Photography provided by Darrell White, Spencer IN
Since 1994, we have led a local effort to build up a permanent pool of assets to support our mission.
We gather, grow and give.
We GATHER gifts from people who care about Owen County. People can make gifts in any amount – from a dollar to much larger. Gifts can be made in many forms besides cash such as stock, insurance policies, real estate, or planned for in a last will and testament or trust. We keep these gifts in permanent funds that will give back to Owen County forever.
We GROW the gifts through prudent investment policies & procedures. Our volunteer Finance Committee helps our board of directors select professional investment managers to carry out this crucial step that allows us to maximize earnings from our permanent funds.
We GIVE back to our communities through grants & scholarships that are funded by our investment returns. We maintain over 108 unique funds established by donors that each carry out a specific charitable goal. Our volunteers from the community help man our Scholarship and Grants Committees to help determine how grants and scholarships are distributed in the community.
Unlike one-time gifts to charitable organizations, a foundation is able to invest funds for the purpose of multiplying an investment beyond its original value. With the help of a foundation, a donor is able to use a gift to continually give back into the community. A community foundation is a great way for individuals, businesses, and organizations to charitably invest in their community for years to come.
Your gift can go to the general Community Fund or one of any of our individual funds.
The Owen County Community Foundation is committed to help make our communities become better places to grow, work, and live.
What We Have Achieved
- Provided over $9.7 million in grants, scholarships, and programs to support our communities.
- Established the MYPath Trail System in partnership with Town of Spencer, YMCA, Soil & Water Conservation District, and McCormick’s Creek State Park.
- Led recovery efforts for families impacted by 2008 flood in Owen County.
- Supported Owen Valley High School FFA in their efforts to establish a working goat farm as a classroom for local students.
- Worked with our donors to increase OCCF assets to $7.5 million.